Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Lots Of Ballparks

   Today we wrap up the Ballparks Opening Week with 8 ballpark openings being profiled, yes I do know that this edition is a day late.

   Today we start at April 14, 1904 with the opening of American League Park II in Washington, DC. In the opener, the Philadelphia Athletics beat the Senators in an 8 inning game 8-3. Moving ahead 5 years we find the Saint Louis Browns opening Sportsmans' Park III. The Cleveland Indians opened the park with a -2 win over the Browns. In 1920 the Cardinals moved in and would stay until 1966.  

   Our next stop is 1953 and the opening of County Stadium in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Braves slipped the winning run across in the 10th against the Saint Louis Cardinals for a 3-2 win. 1960 is our next stop as the Tacoma Giants of the Pacific Coast League opened Ben Cheney Stadium. The Portland Beavers spoiled the party with a 7-2 win.

  Moving along we arrive for two stops in Montreal, first in 1969 when the Expos played their first franchise game. The game was played at Parc Jarry and was an 8-7 win over the Cardinals. Next we have the Shreveport Captains of the Texas League opening Fair Grounds Field in 1986. The Captains took a 5-4 win over the Jackson Mets.
 
   Two years later, the Buffalo Bisons of the American Association opened Pilot Field with a 1-0 win over the Denver Zephyers. Our final park today is Harbor Park in Norfolk, Virginia. The Norfolk Tides of the International League opened the park with a 2-0 win over the Ottawa Lynx.         

   The answer to Wednesdays trivia question is in its first two seasons, the san Diego Padres have had a 2-2 record at Citi Park in New York. There will not be a trivia question today as this will be my last daily blog for awhile, unless someone wants to pay my ISP bill for me. I need to send my time looking for full time employment and needs of my family :(. I would welcome any words of encouragement or even a Phoenix area job offer in my email sabrkev@gmail.com. I hope to resume soon.
Thanks to all my friends world wide,
Kevin Saldana
Mesa, AZ 

No comments:

Post a Comment