Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bonus Blog II The American League

     Several years ago some of my fellow members of the Society for American Baseball Research contacted me about singing a petition to recognize the 1900 American League as a Major League. Major League Baseball recognizes six leagues as Major Leagues:
National League since 1876
American Association 1882-1891
Union Association 1884
Players National League 1890
American League since 1901
Federal League 1914-15

  Some folks like myself will also recognize the National Association of 1871-75 as a major league, it was after all the only professional league operating at the time. The arguement presented was that the 1900 American League was a better league then both the Players Laegue and the Union Association, recognized Major Leagues. They said that when you compared the leagues together the 1900 American League had less players who had no other major league experience then the others. They also pointed out that there were more players with MLB experience in the 1900 American League, then in the other leagues. I believe that although the arguements presented in the case were quite sound, they ignored one very important fact. The American League did not recognize itself as a major league in 1900. They announced they were seeking major league status on January 27, 1901 at the same time they announced that 4 of their 8 clubs were moving to the East Coast.
   I am by no means advocating a change now. I am presenting this to see what you my readers have to say on the subject. I for one am very much against revisionist history. I believe that things are just fine the way they are.  Now lets have a great debate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment